March 14, 2015

Pi Day: Cast One On

It's not only Pi Day today, but it's a super cool Pi Day at that.  Today, we not only have a date that mimics 3.14, but we have a date that mimics Pi plus extra digits: 3.1415.  That's pretty nerdy special so, in honor of the uniqueness of the date, I have cast on for my first Pi Shawl of the year, which makes it only my 2nd Pi Shawl ever.

I have to admit that I am super anal concerned about the initial cast on stitches being too large and floppy, so I used a 2.75 mm hook when doing the initial Ocker cast on. Then, I worked the initial 6 rounds on US 6 (4mm) 16" circs.  The last time I knit this pattern, I was so frustrated (being the anti-DPN knitter that I am) with the US 8 (5mm) needles and trying to knit 18 stitches in a tiny circle with yarn overs on needles that feel monstrously large in the hands of a sock knitter that I threw it down and walked away at least twice.  It was much easier this time with smaller needles for the first few rounds.


I also worked the stitches like I would work the toe of a toe-up sock, which is much easier than trying to make it work on the cable in a complete circle--bonus points to you if you have the where with all to make that work!



The yarn is Malabrigo Sock in Lotus.

Unfortunate Discovery: I received both hanks for Christmas and I thought at the time I received the 2nd "Yes! Enough for a Pi Shawl!" but when I pulled the 2 hanks out yesterday, I discovered that one is Lotus and one is Lotus A. Crap.  The difference is in the amount of turquoise in the hank.  Lotus is almost completely the same color at closer examination and Lotus A has a nice turquoise section to it.  I am going to start with Lotus A and then the splash of color will be in the main body of the shawl; Lotus will do for the outer circle and edging I guess.  I don't think it will be bad.  I am sending good vibes and thinking good thoughts because this project was planned for this day and it's all going to come out well in the wash.

Made it to the 3rd increase.



Now I must be off to knit some Pi. I hope it rains all day and I can't think of anything else that I need to do, other than to feed the animals, except knit on this shawl. Take a minute and cast on for your own Pi Shawl on this very unique day!

Have a happy Pi Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message. Thanks so much for stopping by to visit me!

Translate

Search This Blog