January 30, 2015

New Pattern: Wicker Asymmetrical Shawl

Meet Wicker, my just-released (and a very quick knit) asymmetrical garter stitch and openwork triangular shawl.






Did I mention that this pattern is completely reversible, so there is no right or wrong side once it has been blocked?  How fabulous is that!?


I'm afraid I didn't have any supermodels on hand when I took these pictures, so I had to use myself.  Many thanks to my two photographers who thought they were being tortured were very happy to act as my photographers.  The pictures were taken in my back yarn; thus, the pictures may also include an occasional hungry sheep.



The name, Wicker, comes from the openwork panels of this shawl.  The design, when blocked, appears to be very similar to the traditional wicker furniture pattern that I grew up with.  If you are old  young like I am, and you grew up in the '70s and '80s, then you will recognize this pattern from the wicker furniture craze.  Come on.  You know you your parents had some, and it was probably not patio furniture, am I right?

I have to confess that I rarely use a shawl as such; rather, shawls double as scarves for me.  This pattern makes a REALLY attractive scarf, by the way.


When you look at this shawl, know that this shawl is actually 2 separate sock patterns, worked and ripped a total of 5 times, in addition to being this shawl, which also includes about 30 invisible rows of knitting in its current form. I had originally planned to use my favorite Journey colorway, Cappadocia, to knit up one or the other of two new sock patterns that I've done (coming soon!), but the yarn had other designs for its eventual existence, and so we have this nifty shawl pattern.

There does need to be a quick note about this pattern and my own style of knitting.  Since I am a European Continental knitter these days, I knit all of my flat rows through the back of the loop.  With garter stitch, since there is no purling, this causes the stitches to twist.  You do not have to knit like I do in order to work up this pattern, though your finished product may look a bit more like traditional garter stitch rows and a bit less like woven rows.  OR, you could try it my way and you might find that you really like this simple method.  There's a note to this effect in the pattern.

The pattern is available through this blog (left-hand side links), on Ravelry, on Craftsy, and in my Zibbet.com shop as a pdf download.  I hope you will check it out the next time you are in the neighborhood!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message. Thanks so much for stopping by to visit me!

Translate

Search This Blog