June 13, 2012

Dye Works: The Race is On!

My house has been turned into a virtual dye works this week. The weather has not been particularly cooperative and I have had to break down and use the kitchen--too wet, too humid outside!  Why so much dyeing all of a sudden?  I have to ramp up my stock for summer markets.  My local farmers' market booth opens this Saturday and the following Friday, Saturday, and Sunday I will be in Charlotte, NC with at booth at the Charlotte Fiber Festival.  I am keeping my fingers crossed that neither of these events will be cancelled due to weather or other calamities.  In the meantime, I'm dyeing, dyeing, dyeing!

I've known about these deadlines for weeks and weeks, but there's nothing quite like waiting until the last minute to make things interesting.  This is what Sunday looked like ... 56 skeins of wool and cotton.  Because of the torrent of rain, my knitting room had to double as my drying space.


And worsted weight merino yesterday ...


Finally, some sun!  So today was sock yarn and alpaca ...


(What's with the straw?  Still trying to get grass to grow after having the pool put in.  You would think with all the rain we've gotten this week that I would have a carpet of green, right?)

I think I have about 100 skeins left to dye before heading to Charlotte.  (Grimace)

4 comments:

  1. I know you're working hard... but look at all the pretty colors! Its like skittles blew up all over your yarn in a delightful pallette of happiness.

    And you know I'm gonna want some sock yarn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just going to throw out there that Monroe is a totally untapped market with MANY women in need of good yarn! How do I know? One woman asked me if the skeins hanging from my racks at the market this morning were chew toys for dogs. Several women asked me what one does with hand painted yarn. I think I am going to just have to launch a campaign of yarn yumminess!

      Delete
  2. Wow, that is a lot of dyeing! Beautiful colours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment! It's a lot of work, but I truly enjoy the finished product--even when sales are slow. :)

      Delete

Please leave a message. Thanks so much for stopping by to visit me!

Translate

Search This Blog