September 26, 2010

Sometimes I surprise myself!

Talus, which is a synonym for "drift", which is directly connected to the fact that the cabled "drifts" remind me of snow drifts and ripples in a sand dune at the same time, is my newest creation!  It started out with the name "tempest", but the more I knit on this, the more that just seemed wrong.


This is a repeating cable pattern that, when it's all said and done, took about 340 yards of worsted weight wool (Wool of the Andes from Knit Picks) to get 66 inches of length by 7 inches for width. I knit this over the weekend--well, technically, I started on Thursday night and finished on Sunday evening.--and it was a pretty quick knit.  It could be blocked to lay flat, but I kind of like how it rolls up into a perfectly-sized tube.



I am submitting this one to Knit Picks' Independent Designer Program (IDP), so I'm not going to give away too many details; however, this little number is posted on my Etsy page.  I'm both surprised and pleased with how this moment of serendipitous inspiration evolved.

3 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful scarf!!! I love cables!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I have to try cables! Maybe this winter. My next priority (when I finish my current sweater) is to try felting.

    I have a knitting/crochet party on my blog on Fridays, called Fibers on Friday. I'd love if you joined us and linked this project up!

    http://plumslife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this would be a pretty neat pattern in school or team colors. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message. Thanks so much for stopping by to visit me!

Translate

Search This Blog